Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery
Andrew Sherman, MD is Board Certified in Cardiac and Thoracic Surgery. He completed his undergraduate studies at Duke University in Durham, North Carolina and earned his Doctor of Medicine at Rush University, Rush Medical College in Chicago, Illinois as the valedictorian of his class. He completed his General Surgery Residency at McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University in Chicago, Illinois and was awarded the Harold L. Method Surgical Prize for graduating as the top resident in his surgical class. As part of his residency, he completed a two year Surgical Research Fellowship at the Feinberg Cardiovascular Research Institute at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine with funding support from the Thoracic Surgery Foundation for Research and Education.
Dr. Sherman went on to complete a Cardiothoracic Surgery Fellowship and Residency at Emory University School of Medicine in Atlanta, Georgia where he was selected Administrative Chief Resident. During his medical training he earned several awards and honors for his medical and research skills. He has authored numerous publications, book chapters, and abstracts, and has presented most of this work at national meetings throughout the country. He continues to lecture on various topics in his field.
Dr. Sherman serves as the Chief of the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery at St. Joseph’s Hospital (SJH). He is also one of the founding members of the Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) team at SJH. Within BayCare Medical Group, he is an Assistant Medical Director of specialty services. Dr. Sherman is the lead surgeon involved with a new minimally invasive treatment for patients with atrial fibrillation. SJH has been recognized as a Center of Excellence with respect to this Hybrid procedure and he helps train electrophysiologists and surgeons throughout the Country in this particular operation.
Dr. Sherman specializes in beating heart surgery, valvular heart disease, TAVR, complex aortic valve and root disorders, and minimally invasive lug surgery with extensive experience in Video-assisted Thoracic Surgery (VATS) procedures including total thoracoscopic lobectomies. He is a member of The Society of Thoracic Surgeons and currently is an Executive Cabinet Member of the American Heart Association’s Tampa Bay Heart Ball.
Links of Interest:
- Article - SJH Heart Institute Implants First MitraClip in Hillsborough County
- Article - St. Joseph's Hospital Heart Institute Physician Presents at Heart Rhythm Society
- Article - This Chief's Heart Beats for Others
- Article - SJH Heart Institute Becomes Training Center for Convergent Procedure
- Video - Video - Afib Patient Story On Hybrid Ablation Procedure
- Article & Video - Heart Institute Opens New Facility
- Video - Dr. Sherman describes the advanced technology at the new Heart Institute
- Video - Dr. Sherman discusses the Hybrid Convergent procedure for Atrial Fibrillation
- Video - Dr. Sherman describes advancements in the treatment of congestive heart failure
- Video - WFLA News Coverage of New Heart Institute and Dr. Sherman
- Video - WTVT News Coverage of New Heart Institute and Dr. Sherman
- Video - New Options for the Treatment of Lung Cancer, Minimally Invasive Surgical Techniques
- Video - Dr. Sherman provides an overview of his practice
Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery - Tampa
3003 W. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Blvd.
Medical Arts Building, 2nd Floor
Tampa, Florida 33607-6307
Location Phone: (813) 321-6580
Location Fax: (813) 443-8185